taxmax services | tax services sacramento

For personal taxes, you are eligible for an exemption for gains tax up to $250,000 for single filers or
$500,000 for married filing jointly so long as you meet all eligibility requirements.
A rental property is a little trickier. Considering you transact a straight-sale, you must have lived in the
home for two of the past five years and not have sold another personal home within two years to be
exempt from including gains from taxable income (along with some other eligibility requirements).
Otherwise, you are subject to up to a 25% tax on deducted depreciation plus up to 15% on capital gains.