top of page
taxmax services | tax services sacramento

Do I have to pay taxes if I sell my personal home?

Typically, you can be exempt from taxes on up to $250,000(single) or $500,000(married filing jointly) in profits. This does not mean however that you can claim a deduction if you make a loss. Additionally, if your profit is above the $250,000 or $500,000 limits, you must report this with your personal taxes on Schedule D.

If you are making a capital gain from the sale of your primary residence, you can exclude up to $ 250,000 of that profit from your income or up to $ 500,000 of that profit when filing a joint statement with your spouse. Publication 523, Selling Your Home, has rules and worksheets. Argument n. 409 contains general information about capital gains and losses.

Qualify for exclusion

Generally, to qualify for Section 121 exclusion, you must pass both the Ownership and Use Tests. You can be excluded if you have owned your home and used it as your primary home for a combined period of at least two years from the five years prior to the sale date. You can satisfy the property and use the tests over several periods of 2 years. However, both tests must be met within the 5 year period ending on the date of sale. tax services Sacramento In general, if you excluded the profit from the sale of another home during the two-year period prior to the sale of your home, you cannot be excluded. Refer to Publication 523 for full eligibility requirements, exclusion limits, and exceptions to the two-year rule.

Reporting on the sale

When you receive an income reporting information document, such as B. Form 1099-S, PDF (Real Estate Transaction Proceeds), you must report the sale of the home even if the profit is excluded from the sale. In addition, if you cannot exclude all of your capital gains from income, you must report the home sale. Use Schedule D (Form 1040 or 1040-SR), PDF for Capital Gains and Losses (PDF) and Form 8949, PDF for Sales and Other Disposals of Capital Assets (PDF) when necessary to report home sales. See publication 523 for rules on how to report the sale on your tax return.

Suspension of the five-year probationary period

If you or your spouse is on a qualified official extended service in the uniformed service, overseas service, or in the intelligence community, you can suspend the five-year probationary period for up to 10 years. A person is in a qualified official extended service if the person for more than 90 days or for an indefinite period: At a petrol station that is at least 80 km from your main residence, or
Live in government accommodation by order of the government.
For more information on this special rule of suspending the test for 5 years, see publication 523.

Installment sale

If you sold your home under a contract that involves paying all or part of the sale price in a subsequent year, you have entered into an installment sale. If you have an installment sale, report the installment sale if you do not want to. Even if you use the installment method to defer part of your income, Section 121 income exclusion remains available. See Publication 537, Installment Selling, Form 6252, Installment Selling PDF (PDF) and topic # 705, Installment Selling, for more information on Installment Selling.

bottom of page